Tuesday, 14 February 2017

Battle Report: Imperial Fists Vs Space Wolves

A few months ago you'll have seen that I painted up Leman Russ. As a long time Space Wolves fan, player and collector, he is the jewel in the crown for my army, as any Primarch mini should be really.

I'm not much of a gamer but last night I had the chance to try Russ out on the field against my mate Rich's Imperial Fists.

Rich came over and we set up a small Zone Mortalis board. Nothing serious, Rich wanted to try out his Leviathan Dreadnought and I wanted to take a look at the rules for Russ and the Grey Slayers before a big game at Warhammer World this weekend.


Russ has either 7 or 8 Instant Death-causing attacks, depending on which weapons he selects. He has 6 wounds, he ignores Instant Death himself, likewise he causes Fear and is immune to Fear. blah blah... (I'm not a rules buff). He has special armour that modifies enemy To Hit rolls and depending on which blade he is using, he can re-roll his own To Hit and To Wound rolls.


Everything there is pretty close to the fluff. the only thing I wouldn't bother about is his firearm; it's a pretty weak side arm which means it won't be up to much in battle...


So how did he do on the day?

All I can say is that "I was there the day Russ ripped apart a Leviathan Dreadnought... and then slayed Sigismund and a squad of Templar Brethren without as much as breaking a sweat."


Lets be honest, the set up wasn't ideal, but Russ and the Grey Slayers can move, run and attack each turn thanks to their special rules, so they moved across the board pretty quick. The Leviathan Dread was equipped with a Flux Bombard, some sort of grav weapon which is pretty nasty. It started picking off my Grey Slayers as they closed in and even took 2 wounds from Russ before he charged it. I want one!


But once Russ got into combat, he made swift work of the Dread. I wouldn't usually recommend charging a dreadnought though. His axe gives him 8 strength 8 attacks on the charge, which is a lot, but you'll be needing 5s and 6s to take Hull Points from strength 13 armour. Even with the ability to re-roll To Hit and To Wound rolls, I only took three Hull Points in the first round due to the Leviathan's 4+ save (thanks to Armoured Ceramite and Anatomic Shielding). The Leviathan took one wound back that go.


Russ finished the Dread in the second round of combat and then moved on to Sigismund and his squad of Templar Brethren. Usually Sigismund gives me a headache, nothing can defeat him barring a Fellblade shell to the face. But in this instance Russ and his 8 strength 8 attacks, on superior initiative, took him out without even suffering any attacks back, never mind wounds...


Having the Grey Slayers supporting him was great. Their ability to take power swords for 5pts a piece is nothing short of amazing, and with 10 of them equipped, they also helped cut the thread of those Sword Brethren, who again usually serve as a thorn in my side in games against Rich.

What else is there to say really. The new rules really reflect the way the Space Wolves are in fiction and I'm really looking forward to getting them out in a big, competitive game at the weekend (words I never thought I'd hear myself speak...). The 'move, run, assault' special rules might have people daring to take an all infantry army too, exactly the way wolves are depicted. Potentially you could even be in combat in the first turn of game, assuming you roll really well!

EDIT: as has been pointed out, I've realised I played a couple of Russ' rules wrong. He'll get 7 attacks on the charge. I only used his Axe in this so that should have been 7 strength 8 AP2 attacks on the charge, re-rolling a single failed To Hit roll (Master Crafted) but re-rolling all of the failed To Wound rolls (Sunder).

What have your experiences been?

Dave

Post note: This post is dedicated to Ginger the guinea pig. Rich was bringing Ginger down to us for re-homing (as good an excuse for a game of 30k as ever...), but sadly he didn't make the journey. Guinea pigs are notoriously anxious travellers and obviously it was a bit too much for him.
RIP Ginger.

theerrantwolf.blogspot.co.uk - a blog dedicated to The Horus Heresy and Warhammer 40k

4 comments:

  1. Did you even read the rules? Please do so, you are playing many of Russ' rules and his weapons wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunder is re-rolling armor pen rolls (not wounds). Actually surprised the dread didn't toss russ aside! Those things are fantastic HQ killers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah my bad, we couldn't find the rule description last night so made it up :-) need to get myself a red book...

      Delete