Tuesday, 7 March 2017

Basing Ideas

This post started out as a review of some of the Games Workshop texture paints which I have been trying out on my army, but I decided to talk about bases as a whole after some generous comments about some of the other bases I have been making recently.
 
First is this guy and the dead guy at his feet. I've done a couple of these now and I think they look pretty cool, especially after you've out some textured basing material around them to hide the nooks and crannies.
They are dead simple to do too:
  1. Get some green stuff and spread it about quite thickly on the base in the location you want the victim
  2. Place a front torso piece on the green stuff. This is where the plastic Space Marine torsos work better than resin because they are already in two halves.
  3. Chop a shoulder pad in two and place the two halves where each arm would be, making sure there's a certain amount of green stuff inside the shoulder pad, so there isn't just a void in there.
  4. Roughly position a head, then remove and file the back portion down so that the neck joint fits in to the half-torso
And you're done! Just glue sand to the base or use the Games Workshop texture paints. Either works fine.
 
I did something on a bigger scale recently, with a Contemptor dreadnought rather than a Space Marine...
 
I've also been messing about with Games Workshop's textured paints. The Stirland Mud paint I have been using for a while, and what a breath of fresh air! Saves me sticking sand on and then painting it. Applying the textured paint is relatively easy and all you have to do is dry brush and wash it for a great finish.
 
What I would say is, don't apply this too thickly. You want a couple of thin layers rather than one big splodgy layer. It won't dry right and much of the texture is lost.
 
The cracking paint on the other hand is the complete opposite; apply it really thick and then dry it quickly, either on a radiator or about a minute under the hairdryer, for some really big cracks. Again, a great effect, but this one definitely works better on larger bases. There's just not enough area or mass of material on smaller bases.  
 
Also, the cracks work best if applied to smooth surfaces. I tried combining the Stirland Mud with the cracking paint and the texture beneath prohibited the cracks from forming (I'm an engineer and could have figured this would happen if I'd stopped to think about it, it's the same as inserting reinforcement into concrete to stop it cracking...)


 
Then we have the Imperial Sector basing kit, which I reviewed previously. This is a great kit, and when combined with any of the above ideas, produces some fantastic and unique bases.
 
Below are some land speeder bases that I've been working on. A bit of wash, a bit of weathering powder and done. These bases took less than an hour of actual modelling time from snipping to varnishing, and I'm really happy with them.



Anyone else got some interesting basing examples? Long gone are the days of simple green-painted sand, where the more adventurous were using flock from the railway hobby shop!...

theerrantwolf.blogspot.co.uk - a blog dedicated to The Horus Heresy and Warhammer 40k

No comments:

Post a Comment