Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Sector Mechanicus Bases review

I wasn't even aware these Sector Mechanicus bases were being released until I saw a tweet about them, but man they looked so good I couldn't resist...
 
Obviously they are designed for Shadow Wars, but me and my mates play a lot of Zone Mortalis, which again these would be ideally suited too, or games of Space Hulk. Maybe not perfect but closer than textured paint!
 


The detail is so much crisper than the Sector Imperialis bases and basing kits that were previously released. I read someone say that there was probably too much detail on them for just a base. I wouldn't go that far, I guess it depends how much of the detail you plan on picking out, but the detail is high.

The box contains two lots of the sprues shown below, 4 sprues in total, so a good amount of variety. Enough for 2 dreadnoughts, 40 Space Marines and 10 terminators. There's some other bits like lights and stands which add even more options.

 
5 or ten years ago I'd be at games events picking up 5 resin scenic bases like this for a pound a pop, not you can have 52 for £20. how time shave changed, and how Games Workshop have shown they can take those third party bits you're producing and do them either better or just as good, and cheaper! That's the way to deal with the competition, not law suits.. I'm glad they've changed the way they are doing things in that respect, it only means good things for us hobbyists.
 
And here's on I made earlier.
 
 
I picked my up from Warhammer World, because I live close and am impatient, but if you wanted a bargain you could go to a site like Alchemists Workshops and pick them up for 20% less, making them even more of a bargain!
 
theerrantwolf.blogspot.co.uk - a blog dedicated to The Horus Heresy and Warhammer 40k

6 comments:

  1. These bases are awesome, thinking seriously grabbing this set.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist. The detail and value is right up there with this set

      Delete
  2. They are really nice, I bought a set as well. Interesting that this set doesn't have any 25mm bases, as the previous boxes did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe designed for kill teams using minimum 32mm bases in SW:A? I don't know what the rules are on base sizes for that rule set?

      Delete
  3. I think these are great looking except for how they cut into the base edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is that. I was thinking about a dab of green stuff, but to be honest they look better painted and in 20 man squads I probably won't notice :-)

      Delete